HMRC calls on customers to renew their tax credits by 31 July
HM Revenue and Customs is reminding customers that they must renew their tax credits by 31 July – or their payments will stop.
HMRC has launched a new advertising campaign to remind customers to renew their tax credits on time.
Tax credits help working families with targeted financial support. The deadline for people to renew their tax credits is 31 July 2019.
The HMRC explained that customers will not get a renewal pack until April 2020 if they first claimed tax credits after 6 April 2019.
The office is offering quick and easy online renewals. Customers are advised to log into GOV.UK to check on the progress of their renewal, be reassured it’s being processed and know when they’ll hear back from HMRC.
“We know that our customers lead busy lives, which is why our online services are available day and night. Customers can complete their tax credits renewals at a time convenient to them. Renewing on time is vital to ensure that their payments don’t stop,” Angela MacDonald, director general for customer services at HMRC, said.
If help with the process is required, HMRC advises customers to:
- Visit GOV.UK at Tax Credits ;
- Tweet @HMRCcustomers or post on their Facebook page with general queries;
- Use the HMRC’s App, which is available on the App Store or Google Play Store;
- Use the HMRC's Online Customer Forum (click on Tax Credits and You);
- Visit HMRC’s webchat help service; or
- Call the tax credits helpline: 0345 300 3900
The HMRC warned that failure to renew before the deadline will mean payments are stopped and customers may have to repay the money they have received since April 2019.